10.09.2009

it's just a belt

R has never really had an opinion about his clothes. He's always been pretty good at just wearing whatever I put out for him. Anytime I have given him a choice (yes I occasionally let him choose HA!) he usually always picks out something that involves getting to wear boots and a cowboy hat . Well everyday since the first day of school, he has been asking if he can wear his western belt. I told him that he had to wait until the weather cooled down because he would need to wear boots and jeans with it. So I was able to hold him off for a while and considering the fact that we've been experiencing "un-seasonably record high temps" I thought I would be able to avoid the issue completely. You're probably wondering about now what the problem is and what I have against belts. Well I don't have anything against belts I promise, it's just this particular belt. My problem with the belt is the buckle with the cheesy bull rider on it. It's hard to explain but I've had this deep rooted issue my whole life with people wearing belt buckles they didn't win. Yes I am aware that not everyone has the opportunity to participate in activities that give away belt buckles. And yes I know how petty and dumb this sounds, but it just REALLY bugs me. I feel so guilty for thinking this about my son's belt because he and daddy went to the western store and he picked it out all by himself. Well the good Lord has so wonderfully blessed us with a cold front today which of course meant I would have to deal with the belt issue. All morning as R was asking over and over to wear his belt I kept coming up with reasons that he should wait another day. His class goes to PE today so I thought that since he couldn't wear his boots he probably wouldn't want to wear his belt. That didn't work, he thought tennis shoes would go just fine with his belt buckle. The voice in my head kept repeating over and over "choose your battles wisely, it's just a belt" I know it's just a belt but it's a belt that bugs me!
After a small battle with the voices in my head I gave in and helped R get his belt on just right. While I was helping him, I noticed something different about him. I noticed that my little guy was walking with a swagger and a tough guy smile on his face. I noticed that my sweet little baby was growing up into a young boy who should be allowed an opinion. Most of all, I was reminded of just how much I love this kid. And yes I will have to tell myself all day that "it's just a belt". But to him it's NOT "just a belt," it's a prized possession that gives him confidence and happiness. And because of that, I'm going to be all right today knowing that one of the loves of my life is having a better day all because of a belt.
After writing this I started wondering if any of you have issues with certain pieces of clothing. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Maybe we share the belt buckle issue or maybe we can bond over our problems with socks and crocs...HA! Whatever it is leave me a comment and let me know what bugs you. I'm just stinking down right curious now! (of course if I get no responses I will feel like a vein outcast and we wouldn't want that now, would we?)

5 comments:

Markers & Mud said...

Whats your thought on the buckle having a huge 1994 on it? I don't care if its 2034-I earned that sucker! :) Your too funny-and Rhett is handsome no matter what he wears-and I would bet sometime he will win him a buckle! I don't have these clothes issues yet with my kidos, I just hope Easton leaves his clothes on!

Amber Knauss said...

Grey went to school today with "superman" socks. We were in a hurry this morning so I asked him to get on his socks and shoes. Well, he picked out one red tall sock and one blue tall sock. I tried to talk him out of it, but he was bound and determined. And so, Grey went off to school in a green shirt, gray pants, one red sock and one blue sock. And that very same swagger and smile Rhett wore!!!

Jessie Jane said...

Jamie, don't you have an old buckle or two you could give to Rhett to wear?

April said...

Spiderman, Spiderman, Spiderman!! Jack will only wear spiderman shirts! (and underwear) It was not too bad at first, but now he is getting particular about which spiderman shirt and he just wants to wear little old knit shorts that are for just around the house!! I long for the days (early September) that I could pick out his clothes. At least you made it to 5 1/2 picking out Rhett's...I only got 3 1/2!

skbearden said...

My issue is definitely silky, shiny "workout" pants (like basketball shorts). Ughhh....I hate them...Tanner LOVES them. The best part is that he only weighs 38lbs at 6 years old, so he looks ridiculous. Our compromise was some not so shiny workout pants from Carters, etc. We also made a deal that he wears collared shirts with jeans or khakis everyday, except PE days and then he can pick out his workout gear. You are not alone...