5.20.2009

in case you were wondering

I know that you all have just been so worried that I have let my family starve this last couple of weeks since I have fallen behind on my menu plan postings. But I just wanted to reassure you that we are still eating and I've got pictures to prove it. This is one of our favorite healthy low-carb side dishes. Cauliflower "Potatoes". This is what we always make in place of mashed potatoes. Poor R really thinks that these are what mashed taters are supposed to taste like and so he won't eat any other potatoes. I know it's so sad that he has been deprived of the yummy awesomeness that are mashed taters, but we don't feel too bad about the fact that he actually loves eating a whole head of cauliflower in return.
First you steam the whole head of cauliflower


Once it is soft you put it in the blender with some butter and milk

Once it's blended it looks just like honest to goodness real mashed taters

Then to just really throw you off we add chopped pickles,
which is no surprise to all of you who know me

Jason takes it one step further and also adds in picante sauce,
don't knock it til you've tried it!

Here is the not staged picture of R saying "mmmm so good"!

Even W loved his taters...
Okay so maybe that's rice cereal all over him but he still wanted to be included

And here is one more just to leave you with a bit of cuteness!

2 comments:

Auntie Jen said...

Seriously - pickels, picante & cauliflower - I think I might have just thrown up a little bit in my mouth. Tell Rhett & Wyatt that if they want to taste realy taters to call up their Auntie Jenn & she'll hook them up. No fake stuff at my house - I add cream cheese, monterrey jack, sour cream & a whole bunch more fattening goodness.

Jamie said...

I know, I know, we are horrible parents aren't we...It's so funny because I let him eat in the cafeteria on chicken strip day and he only eats the chicken, doesn't touch the taters. He told me they don't taste like your potatoes mom...lol!